Who We Are Looking For
While we are open to any volunteers and can surely find a way for you to get involved, we are primarily look for people who meet the following criteria:
- Volunteers who have survived struggles in their own lives and/or who have been the support for others who have gone through struggles. Getting through hard times can often be easier when there is someone to talk to who has been in similar situations and can share how it gets better.
- Volunteers who are committed to upholding the values of Robert’s Wish – providing a safe, confidential, non-judgmental online social community where members are free to be themselves.
Volunteers who are open to people of all shapes and sizes when it comes to gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. While Robert’s Wish welcomes any and all people in need of a mentor, many of our community members are LGBTQ, as was Robert. All volunteers are expected to be aligned with an unapologetically pro-LGBTQ political orientation.
- Volunteers who are of post-high school age. While we do not have any minimum age requirement for volunteers, we do find it more helpful when volunteers have had additional time to reflect on the struggles of their youth or early adulthood. For those of high school age or below, we encourage you to become members of the Robert’s Wish community and to share your experiences and guidance with others on the site.
As a volunteer, you can choose to contribute in either or both of the following ways:
- Moderating the youth community to keep them safe, clean and welcoming. As a moderator, you will commit to a certain time period(s) each week to read through different threads and make sure that the dialogue adheres to Robert’s Wish values – providing a safe, confidential, non-judgmental online social community where members are free to be themselves.
- Be one of the charity ambassadors. This involves helping to raise awareness of our work by attending events to talk about our work and encourage others to get involved in fundraising activity. This is a really important role as it helps us to reach new people, inspire new fundraising activity, and thank our supporters for the work they are doing.
- Social media Supporters will help build our presence over all our social media platforms by sharing, retweeting and supporting our posts to help us amplify our message.
Both volunteering opportunities allow you to connect with those who need hope and change the lives of those in need. When you volunteer, you aren’t just sitting at your computer, you are providing a helping hand and giving of your heart to make an everlasting impact on the lives of others.
NOTE: When contacting us, please make sure to specify which area you would like to volunteer in.
We have a zero tolerance policy for volunteers whose religious or political views put them at odds with our pro-LGBTQ stance. Below is a simple checklist to see if involvement with Robert’s Wish is right for you.
- I am 100% in favor of legalized gay marriage.
- I value human rights over religious sentiment.
- I respect the self-identities of transmen and women.
- I strive to be aware of my privilege and sensitive to the experiences of others.
- If my child, friend, parent or colleague sought gender reassignment surgery or lived as a different gender I would openly support that person.
- My public persona and social media presence reflect the values described above.